Gat Perich international award winner 2001
Antonio Mingote was born in Sitges on 17 January 1919. He began his career as a cartoonist in the magazine La Codorniz in 1946 under the director, Álvaro de la Iglesia. In 1948 he published his first novel Las Palmeras de cartón and 19 June 1953 started collaborating with the newspaper ABC. Two years later, in 1955, he was entrusted with the leadership of the humorous magazine Don José. In 1974 he wrote the libretto for the piece El oso y el madrileño, a musical revue by Mario Clavel. The following year he wrote the script for the TV series Este señor de negro, directed by and starring Antonio Mercero and starring José Luis López Vázquez. Mingote has also written screenplays in collaboration with producer José Luis Dibildos such as the films "Soltera y madre en la vida", "Pierna creciente, falda menguante", "Hasta que el matrimonio nos separe", "Vota a Gundisalvo. " Later he wrote a second novel “Adelita en su desván”.
In honour of the artist, in 1967 the Prensa Española introduced an award with the name of Mingote, and he was presented the first edition. In 1970 he published his most eloquent and philosophical work Mingote, Hombre solo. A few years later he published Hombre, a reflection of his own perplexity of human behaviour.
The Spanish Royal Academy appointed him in 1988. On 24 May 1996 he received the Gold Medal for Merit in Work. In December 2005 he received the appointment of Doctor Honoris Causa by the University of Alcala de Henares, and in January 2007 it was the University Rey Juan Carlos.
Mingote’s cartoons have been published internationally and have appeared in the pages of publications such as The New York Times, The Wednesday Times and The Daily Telegraph.
Mingote has received many awards:
• 1961 Creu de Cavaller de la Orden de Isabel la Católica
• 1967 Premi Mingote
• 1976 Premi Ondas
• 1979 Premis Juan Palomo, Larra i Víctor de la Serna
• 1980 Premio Nacional de Periodismo
• 1988 Premio iberoamericano de humor gráfico "Quevedos"
• 1988 Medalla d'Or al Mèrit Artístic
• 1989 Premi Torre de marfil
• 1989 Premio a la Transparencia (ANFEVI)
• 1995 Medalla d'Or de l'Ajuntament de Madrid
• 1996 Medalla d'Or al Mèrit en el Treball
• 1997 Creu de plata de la Guàrdia civil
• 1998 Cartero Honorario de España
• 1999 Pluma d'or de El Club de la Escritura
• 2001 Premi Personalidad• 2002 Premi Luca de Tena
• 2005 Doctor Honoris Causa per la Universitat d'Alcalà d'Henares
• 2007 Doctor Honoris Causa per la Universitat Rey Juan Carlos
• 2001 Premi Gat Perich
• Medalla d'Or de les Belles Arts.